I'm 6 years old. I homeschool and have a big backyard. I want to be a ranger when I grow up so I can help wildlife.

Monday, November 19, 2012

Mammal Evidence Search


I searched mammal evidence in my yard and forest at twilight. It was about 50 degrees on Monday November 19th, 2012.
This is a squirrel nest. It was in my yard. It was made of leaves so I knew it was a squirrel nest.
This is the inner part of a black walnut shell. I think it has been eaten by a squirrel.


This is a squirrel tail. I knew it was a squirrel tail because it has lines of black and white. I found in my backyard in the mud and grass next to an oak tree. I think an owl pulled it off with its beak

This is what I think is a groundhog hole. It is large and deep. We found it in our wooded area that's next to a creek.

This is hair right outside the hole. I think it is the guard hairs of a groundhog that give it its frosted white appearance.

This is scat. I found it on a log. I think the animal that owned it ate berries. I think it is some raccoon scat. Visit Animal Scat Identification Chart to see if I was right about the scat.
This is a dear footprint. I found it near a creek going east. I knew it was a dear because it had a hoof.

No comments:

Post a Comment